Rod Pacheco is a litigator of extraordinary skills and experience in all forms of litigation. His reputation is well known in Southern California where he has been practicing for some time. Throughout his trial career he has focused on the results of his client’s litigation, a career that has encompassed over 100 trials, commercial and criminal. Whether it be by jury trial, court trial, arbitration or administrative trials Rod has succeeded for his clients, often times in the most challenging and dire litigation circumstances, what some call “Bet the Company Litigation”. As a former preeminent statewide death penalty prosecutor, Rod has also handled the most significant type of case a lawyer could try before a jury.
In addition to litigation skills and experience, Rod has also been sought out by California corporations for outside general counsel services, providing strategic guidance and advice in a variety of corporate matters, whether it be pre-litigation, internal investigations, or business issues. A number of government entities, including municipalities, have also secured outside counsel representation by Rod for the many issues that they confront.
Prior to starting his own firm, Pacheco & Neach, Rod was a partner-level attorney at the litigation firm of Theodora Oringher PC. At Theodora Rod served as the Chair of the White Collar Practice Group. Before that Rod served as a Partner with the Dentons law firm in Los Angeles. Dentons is a notable “Big Law” firm and is the largest law firm in the world currently.
Prior to private practice Rod served as the elected District Attorney of Riverside County in California. That prosecutorial office was the third largest prosecutorial agency in the State of California with over nine hundred (900) employees and two hundred and seventy-five (275) prosecutors, and the tenth largest in the United States, including federal prosecutorial offices. During his tenure as District Attorney the office enjoyed the second highest conviction rate in the state of California and was well known for its many innovative crime solutions, including gang injunctions, the multiagency task force combatting sexual predators (Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement (S.A.F.E.) teams), and the incredibly effective Countywide Gang Task Force. The latter gang task force was the first of its kind in California in terms of its size, mission and collaboration across local, state and federal law enforcement lines.
Rod’s public policy career includes public service as a state legislator. Rod served six-years as a California Assemblyman for the State’s 64th District. There he built numerous relationships with California’s leaders, including several U.S. Presidents and California Governors. His service is notable for the many accomplishments he secured during his tenure, the leadership positions he held with distinction and the honors he received as a result.
- Representation of high net worth trust in a multimillion dollar complex litigation against an international company which had partnered with the federal government. The matter involved breach of contract and fraud allegations and was dismissed with prejudice without any payments by the client or admissions of liability.
- Representation of significant manufacturer in aggressive litigation against international corporation for fraud, breach of contract and related claims. Representation resulted not only in a complete victory, after trial, against the $20 million Cross Complaint, but also a favorable verdict for clients on their Complaint.
- Representation of the CEO of a corporation in multimillion dollar breach of contract and fraud allegations in federal court.
- Representation of an international corporation, its CEO and its general counsel in civil litigation involving trade libel, trade secret infringement claims and extortion allegations
- Representation of a Silicon Valley technology company in an investigation concerning a competitor and trade secret infringement.
- Representation of the CEO of an international corporation in an investigation and threatened civil litigation against three adverse corporations.
- Representation of three corporations and the CEO against a former business associate, several related individuals and two corporations in a civil litigation alleging conversion, fraud and trespass.
- Defense of a high net worth trust in a multimillion dollar civil litigation against individual and corporate defendants who were alleged to have committed fraud, conspiracy to commit breach of trust, usury and unjust enrichment. Complete victory after jury trial in defeating the Complaint and a favorable verdict on the cross Complaint. Represented Defendants on appeal after it was filed by Plaintiff, complete victory on the appeal as well.
- Representation of a prominent statewide association regarding civil litigation, which included detailed organization, planning, strategic guidance and consulting
- Representation of a California farming corporation in civil litigation, including strategic consulting.
- Representation of a prominent Southern California health care provider corporation in civil litigation matters, including strategic consulting.
- Representation of corporate oil interests against international billion-dollar oil company for fraud, duress, and other business torts.
- Representation of an international insurance company in a complex internal investigation involving a multimillion dollar fraud by former employees, which required collaboration with the United States Attorney’s Office, several elected district attorneys and their staffs regarding prosecution.
- Representation of a California corporation against civil allegations by a municipality of environmental violations. Result of representation was a small insignificant fine, no admissions of liability or court filing.
- Representation of an entity and CEO suspected of health care fraud by a federal health care agency.
- Representation of defendants charged with more than 150 counts of fraud and Conclusion of the matter resulted in absolute dismissals against two defendants and insignificant admissions to a few misdemeanors for remaining clients.
- Representation of an international corporation suspected of consumer fraud by prosecutors
- Representation of a target in a high-profile joint federal/local prosecutor public integrity investigation
- Representation of large public works construction company suspected of large scale fraud regarding labor compliance that resulted in numerous search warrants by two different prosecutorial offices End result was a complete lack of any criminal filing from either office and no civil liability either.
- Representation of large scale construction company suspected of fraud by authorities.
- Representation of an international company before the Fair Political Practices Commission of California, a statewide public integrity agency.
- Representation of one of the largest municipal providers of energy in the United States regarding the complete design of an RFP for the largest solar and economic development project of its kind.
- Representation of a national corporation in its negotiations with California regarding significant long-term financial services.
- Representation of a national retail corporation in its negotiations with local municipal authorities for major multimillion dollar retail development.
- Representation of a national financial company in administrative matters before prominent state agencies, which included detailed consulting and communications guidance.
- Representation of a national insurance corporation in an administrative financial matter before the California Franchise Tax Board, which included detailed consulting and communications guidance.
- Southern California Super Lawyers (2011-2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent rating (2011-2020)
- Top 100 Influential Lawyers in California, Daily Journal
- Governor’s Victim Advocacy Award, by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
- District Attorney of the Year, Crime Victims United
- District Attorney of the Year, Crime Victims Action Alliance
- Legislator of the Year, University of California Alumni Association
- Legislator of the Year, California School Boards Association
- Legislator of the Year, California School Psychologists Association
- Legislator of the Year, Crime Victims United
- Legislator of the Year, California Building Officials Association
- Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services, The State Bar of California
- Adjunct Professor, California Southern School of Law, Curriculum: Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence and Trial Tactics.
- Adjunct Instructor, California District Attorneys Association, Topics: Trial Tactics, Evidence and Ethics.
- Instructor, Riverside County District Attorney’s Office, Topics: Evidence, Trial Tactics and Ethics.
- “Public Integrity, Law and Practices”, Los Angeles and Riverside County District Attorneys Offices’ Public Integrity Units, December 2015
- “Ethics: Prosecutorial Misconduct”, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Moderator and Presenter with the Honorable Judge Shira Scheindlin, Southern District (New York) January 2015
- “Healthcare Fraud”, Healthcare Management Association, May 15, 2014
- “The Crisis in Ukraine: Is US/Europe Diplomacy Enough?”, panel presentation with Foreign Desk editor of the Los Angeles Times, University of Southern California Jesse Unruh Institute of Politics, March 12, 2014
- Ethics Lecture: Responding to Government Interaction, General Counsel Annual Conference, Los Angeles and San Francisco, January 2014
- “Litigation Management”, California League of Cities, Los Angeles Cities Division Conference, 2013
- “Internal Investigations,” panel presentation with the Honorable Judge David Carter, United States District Court, Santa Ana Division, 2013
- “What to Do When The Government Comes Calling,” General Counsel MCLE Annual Conference for Greater Los Angeles Area, January 2013
- “The Road Ahead for California and Washington after the 2012 Elections,” panel presentation, November 8, 2012
- “The Future of Redevelopment in California,” Los Angeles Cities Division Conference, August 22, 2012
- What to Do When The Government Comes Calling,” General Counsel MCLE Annual Conference for Greater Los Angeles Area, January 18, 2012
- “Public Corruption,” moderator and presenter with US Attorney’s Office (Central District), Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, ABA White Collar Section, December 7, 2011
- “California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010,” New York City Bar Association, October 11, 2011
- “Crisis Communications and Strategic Solutions,” California League of Cities Annual Conference, September 23, 2011
- “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Issue Spotting and Compliance Seminar,” May 25, 2011
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- White Collar and Internal Investigations
- Public Policy
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1983
- University of California at Riverside, B.A., 1980
- US District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- US Supreme Court
Memberships & Associations
- Barbara Sinatra Children’s Center Foundation, Board of Directors La Sierra University Foundation, Board of Directors
- California Hospital Medical Center Foundation of Los Angeles, Board Member Los Angeles Times Boys and Girls Club, Board Member (former)
- Jesse Unruh Institute of Politics at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Fellow
- UCLA School of Public Policy and Social Research, Former Senior Fellow Hispanic Leadership Council, Board Member (former)
- Hispanic 100, Board Member (former)
- Transparency Advisory Committee, California Forward Member (former)
- State and Local Government Committee, Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) Member (former)
- American Bar Association, White Collar Section Member Federal Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Member (former)
- Shelter from the Storm, Board of Directors (former)